Please ask any questions you may have about plants, in the comments of any post or by email. I love to help people to be better gardeners. If I don't know the answer, I have lots of great resources to find it and I love to learn new things, too!

Monday, May 04, 2009

Mystery Plant

I planted a Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' in the fall. I just love them! They are so pretty even without great looking flowers! (Beware: They can be invasive and hard to get rid of!) But, on to my story...


So, this Spring, when something came up in that spot I was glad to see that a favorite plant had survived it's first winter here. They I started to realize that it wasn't the right plant. My husband tried to convince me that I must have remembered wrong.


I kept waiting and researching. But, I couldn't find any connection between the two plants, nor could I identify the interloper. It was all wrong: leaves, flowers, timing! (If you recognize it, PLEASE let me know what it is!)

Then, I noticed that the Houttuynia was growing up underneath.


Finally, I decided that I didn't like the new plant and that it was my garden, so I could pull it out if I wanted to, and I did!

So, now I am letting the Houttuynia grow and flourish!


The end! (Until the old bits that stayed in when I pulled it out grow back!)

No comments: