Please ask any questions you may have about plants, in the comments of any post or by email. I love to help people to be better gardeners. If I don't know the answer, I have lots of great resources to find it and I love to learn new things, too!

Monday, May 25, 2009

I Do This All the Time!

I went to a friend's house to help her know which plants were worth keeping and which ones were weeds. There was one that I was pretty sure was a weed, but I couldn't identify it and it drove me crazy. I came home and researched in my books, and looked all over online. (I found some great websites along the way!) I couldn't find it!

Then, some of it came up in my weed patch, er, garden and I recognized it as the same plant but I still couldn't identify it.

I thought about it off and on, today and finally the name came to me. Western Salsify (Tragopogon dubius)

The problem was that it is a biennial and so the stage that my friend's was in made it harder for me to identify. Mine had a flower and was much larger.

I'm really grateful for all for the knowledge that I've gained...I just wish that I didn't have to wait for my brain to find the right "file" sometimes!! (But at least I have the files...)

1 comment:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Sounds like you're well on your way to becoming an expert in your "field" (ha ha - I'm so punny). Myself, I can barely tell a daisy from a sunflower. You rock.