Please ask any questions you may have about plants, in the comments of any post or by email. I love to help people to be better gardeners. If I don't know the answer, I have lots of great resources to find it and I love to learn new things, too!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Gardening Journal

A gardening journal can be an invaluable resource for you in your garden. Some things to include are:

Varieties selected

Botanical and common names of plants

Map of your yard/garden plot labelled with the plants where they are

Empty seed packets and labels from the pots

Gathered information about the plants you've selected

Before and after pictures

Ideas for the future

The number of plants you planted and notes about how well things did

Plans for the future, sometimes based on what you learned in the past

When planting took place

Problems and solutions

A list of your favorite plants

There are a lot of possibilities. The best part about having a gardening journal is that I have a horrible memory and if I write everything down, I don't have to remember. You can also know which varieties did well in certain areas and you can make sure to buy those again. Or, if you move, you know which plants you'd like to purchase again.

I also make notes on the entries after they succeed, die or when the growing season ends. I like to see the progress of things.

So, if you don't have one already, grab a notebook and start writing down all of the things you have in your garden!

No comments: