Please ask any questions you may have about plants, in the comments of any post or by email. I love to help people to be better gardeners. If I don't know the answer, I have lots of great resources to find it and I love to learn new things, too!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Seed Storage Update

My husband, Aaron, found this seed storage site at the Colorado State Extension. It has a lot of great information about keeping seeds for up to 10 years. There is also a link on that page for vegetable and flower seeds, with additional information.

To answer the question about seeds surviving without oxygen, here is a quote from there:

"When seed moisture and storage temperature are low, the presence of oxygen has not been shown to be a factor in seed longevity. Germination is unaffected by storage in atmospheres of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, partial vacuum or air."

No comments: